Since I have been recovering from my nasty summer-probably-because-of-coconut-oil breakout, I have a lot of leftover scarring and hyperpigmentation on my cheeks. (This brings the debate: would you rather have to deal with concealing scars or legit pimples? They both suck, really.) I am currently using Mad Hippie’s Vitamin C Serum ($33.99) aka major antioxidant punch bowl as an extra punch to help heal those up (too many punch puns in one sentence?).
The smell first reminded me of shampoo, but now I just recognize it as kind of citrusy-fruity (while also recognizing that the shampoo industry has potentially conditioned us all to associate citrusy-fruity smells with shampoos…that was a good condition pun). The serum has a sort of gloopy, liquidy texture, and when you rub 5-6 drops between your hands, you can just feel the moisture level multiply by 100000000x times (this is totally scientific), and then you gently massage it into your face post-treating. Within a few smidgens of a second, it’s all been absorbed. It’s really quite fantastic. Wait 5 minutes or so per Mad Hippie’s recommendation, and you’re ready for moisturizer.
So what kind of amazing gloop am I rubbing onto my face?
- Vitamin C: a “powerful antioxidant…effective at healing sun damage & discoloration”
- Vitamin E: “heals and corrects sun damage, wrinkles, and signs of aging”
- Ferulic acid: “when combined with Vitamins C & E, [it] has been shown to reduce UV generated skin damage by 8 fold”
- Hyaluronic acid: “works to smooth and plump up the skin by retaining moisture”
- Konjac root powder: “rich in nutrients like copper, zinc, phosphorus, fatty acids, protein, carbohydrates, lipids, potassium, magnesium, iron, niacin, folic acid & vitamins A, E, C, D & B!”
- Grapefruit: “acts as a natural exfoliant,”
- Chamomile extract: “naturally soothes and calms the skin,” and
- Clary sage: “balances the production of sebum.”
(see here for full descriptions and details c/o Mad Hippie but like seriously, aren’t you in love with it already just from the ingredients list???)
Improvements are supposed to be seen in ~30+ days and I have been using mine for almost a month now, morning and night (~half of the bottle left). I can definitely attest that my scars have been gradually lightening, as supplemented with my current regimen (night routine pt 4: moisturizing is on its way). This is a wonderful moisture boost pre-officially-moisturizing and totally powerful for protecting your skin. Totally in love with it.